Given to Prayer | Part 6
Method and Goals 2017
So Everyone May Know Jesus
Proverbs 29:18 – John 17:23 – Acts 2:42-47
God, Help us to see what You see
Where there is no vision, the people are unrestrained, but happy is he who keeps the law. (Prov 29:18)
1.) the PEOPLE – ahm – “the body of citizens of a religious or political entity,” i.e. church
2.) VISION – hā-zahn – “word of revelation”
God’s REVEALED will – “word of revelation”
The “word of revelation” is the Word of God – Law, Prophets, Psalms, Gospels, Acts, Epistles, Revelation – OT and the NT
God’s SPECIFIC will
The more committed to God’s revealed will the more likely you’ll discern His specific will – His vision for His church
But if we don’t pay attention to it…
3.) UNRESTRAINED – yip-pā-rah – “without direction,” “to allow to ignore or neglect a particular work that they are called to” (c.f Ex 5:4)
Whose vision? God’s vision (a specific will).. His vision to accomplish His mission (revealed will)
We are called to a mission that we cannot step away from
To make gospel-centered disciples who are totally surrendered to the mission of Jesus.
DUTCH COVE IS A DESTINATION CHURCH
1.) Where everyone can meet Jesus.
2.) Where life change happens together
3.) Where followers of Christ are equipped to be leaders in the church and community
4.) Where followers of Jesus are intentionally connected to and passionate about His mission in our community, in our country, and across the globe
That see our community through the eyes of Jesus – in desperate need of the saving grace and hope of X
If we are going to have a common vision, we must have some core commitments..
7 Core Commitments
- We exist FOR THE GLORY OF GOD ALONE
– not for our church name not for our personal fame but for the glory of God alone
- so everything we do, we do it for the glory of God alone
1.) Never give God second best
2.) Trust God with the outcome
- (Luke 10:2) And [Jesus] was saying to them, “The harvest is plentiful, but the laborers are few; therefore beseech the Lord of the harvest to send out laborers into His harvest.”
- God is the God of the harvest
- You reap what you sow
- You reap as much as you sow
- We operate under the AUTHORITY of the Bible, with the PRIORITY of the gospel, going forward in the UNITY of the Spirit
- Pray first, and KEEP PRAYING
- Go where GOD IS BLAZING
- We are BETTER together
– enlist everyone i/o to engage anyone
– age doesn’t matter (young or old)
- we want to be a church that reflects the family of God – full of grand parents and grand babies – and we will be intentionally discipling everyone
- Families matter
- BETTER is the standard
Distinctive Quality – Whether, then, you eat or drink or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God. (1 Cor 10:31)
(Col 3:16-17) 16 Let the word of Christ richly dwell within you, with all wisdom teaching and admonishing one another with psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with thankfulness in your hearts to God. 17 Whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks through Him to God the Father.
We absolutely, by faith believe, that the…
- The BEST DAYS are still ahead
(Eph 3:20-21) 20 Now to Him who is able to do far more abundantly beyond all that we ask or think, according to the power that works within us, 21 to Him be the glory in the church and in Christ Jesus to all generations forever and ever. Amen.
I am convinced that the deeper you study the NT church, you will find these same core commitments..
Model: ADD –
- add to the Kingdom
- add to the number of lives/families that are being changed by the gospel
- add to the hope of Christ in our community, country, across the globe
- The most attractional church is the one who is full of surrendered Christ followers.
- There is a noticeable difference in your life and in your church, not because of what you are doing, but because of what Christ Jesus is doing in you.
3 Unmistakable Qualities of a Church
Full of Surrendered Christ Followers
- Transformation – a change of heart that was demonstrable
- humbly yielded to, and open about, the Holy Spirit’s work in us
- We are not yet God’s finished product.
- As we follow Christ – albeit on a bumpy road – and as we apply the gospel to every part of our lives – no mater how much it sometimes stings – be sure of this, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus. (Phil 1:6)
- There is no one perfect here, but praise the Lord we worship a perfect God who has redeemed us and is transforming us into His image
- Belonging– loving connectivitiy.. you will find gospel-centered faith family
- Genuine loving community – people don’t want to be alone, not meant for it
(Gal 6:6-10) 10 So then, while we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, and especially to those who are of the household [family] of the faith.
- Faithful Consistency – in our walk, as we follow Jesus, that we will love God and love others and fulfill the Great Commission
- Inviting and Investing in the mission
…as Ambassadors of Christ Jesus, (2 Cor 5:19-20) 19 …God was in Christ reconciling the world to Himself, not counting their trespasses against them, and He has committed to us the word of reconciliation. 20Therefore, we are ambassadors for Christ, as though God were making an appeal through us;
Add.. Attract, Disciple..
- Both a verb and a noun – it is what you do because of who you are – a disciple is not a disciple who is not making disciples
- Matthew 28:18-20
If you have surrendered your life to Christ and He is your authority, then as you are going you are making disciples
The Biblical Path of a Gospel-Centered Disciple
Leaders in the church and the community
Replicating the NT model in another context
Prayer Saturated Goals for 2017
- Honest Membership
- Remove Obstacles to the Gospel – Clear Next Steps
- Discipleship Leader Training
- Expand Our Small Group (162 v 102) – 3 New Small Groups
- Saved To Serve Expansion into Small Groups
- Continue to Press into the Schools
- Staff for the next phase
- 30 in 30 – part of discipleship